SEN at SSC
We are very proud of the support that we offer to our students at South Sefton College. Our subject teachers, as well as our personal tutors, will make sure that you are supported throughout your time at college. However, as a student at SSC, you will also have the benefit of being able to access support from our Additional Learning Support department, in order to help you to achieve your full potential.
Our ALS staff can offer you a range of help, advice and resources to help you to develop your skills and succeed on your chosen courses. We can provide screening and professional assessments whenever necessary and if you have already been diagnosed as having a Specific Learning Difficulty or disability, then we will provide you with regular support to ensure that you can fully access the curriculum.
Our ALS Teachers Can Offer:
1:1 study skills support sessions to help you:
• Organise your ideas and structure your work.
• Plan your time effectively
• Communicate your ability through your written work
• Develop research skills
• Check your progress
• Develop mind mapping techniques
• Develop revision resources
• To read and understanding examination questions
• Organise your revision timetable
• Develop strategies to help you to remember things
• To improve your concentration
…and anything else that you may be having difficulty with!
If You Have a Specific Learning Difficulty We Can Also Provide:
• Regular individual support working with an ALS teacher to help you to manage your work.
• Useful equipment to enable you to complete your work independently.
• An assessment of your needs.
• Access arrangements for external examinations (when necessary).
• Use of a resource area with computers (ALS room)
• Guidance on claiming DSA (university funding)
If you require any help, or if you want to find out more, please come and talk to us on one of our Open Evenings or contact: